Official dealings between the Administration and Members of Parliament and State Legislatures – Observance of proper procedure.
F. No. 11013/4/2018-Estt.A-III
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated: 15th March, 2021
Subject: Official dealings between the Administration and Members of Parliament and State Legislatures — Observance of proper procedure.
The Members of Parliament and State Legislatures, as the accredited representatives of the people, occupy a very important place in our democratic set-up. In connection with their duties, they often find it necessary to seek information from the Ministries/ Departments of the Government of India or the State Governments, or make suggestions for their consideration or ask for interviews with the officers.
2. The guidelines concerning official dealings between Administration and Members of Parliament and State Legislatures have been issued by the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and being reiterated from time to time. The provisions of the Central Secretariat Manual of Office Procedure regarding prompt disposal of communications from MPs have also been reiterated from time to time. However, keeping in view the instances of occasional non-observance of the above guidelines, a need was also felt by the Committee of Privileges of the Lok Sabha for consolidating and reiterating the existing instructions. Accordingly, revised comprehensive guidelines were issued by this Department vide Office Memorandum No. 11013/4/2011-Estt.(A) dated 01.12.2011 (copy enclosed). A copy each of former Secretary (P)’s D.O. letter No. 11013/4/2011-Estt.(A) dated 09.10.2012, O.M. No. 11013/2/2012-Esit.A dated 19.11.2014, O.M. of even No. dated 07.02.2018, 11.10.2018 and 10.02.2020 reiterating the said instructions are also enclosed for ready reference.
3. In fact, recognizing the crucial role of Civil Services in serving the citizens, one of the aims of the recently launched National Programme for Civil Service Capacity Building (NPCSCB) is to create a workforce of public officials that is competent, efficient and trained to face the challenges of ever changing citizen-Government-society interface and all the officials should keep in view the broad underlying principles of this Programme to ensure and provide a citizen-centric governance within their allocated areas of responsibilities.
4. In view of the above, all the Ministries’ Departments are once again requested to ensure that instructions issued through aforementioned communications are followed by all officials concerned, both in letter and spirit. Violation of these guidelines will be viewed seriously.
5. Chief Secretaries of all States/ UTs are also requested to circulate these instructions to all State Government officials at the State/ Division and District levels and sensitize them with regard to their duties and obligations in so far as the movement of Members of Parliament in general and more particularly during Parliament sessions. It is also requested to periodically review implementation of these instructions.
6. Hindi version will follow.
(Umesh Kumar Bhatia)
Deputy Secretary to the Government of India
Encl: As above.
- All Ministries / Departments (as per standard list)
- Chief Secretaries of all States / UTs (as per standard list)