Posting of franked mail in view of disruption caused by second wave of Covid-19 across the country and the subsequent lockdowns imposed by various State Governments
Government of India
Ministry of communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, Sansad Marg
Dated: 17th May, 2021
All CPMsG/All PMsG
CGM, BO Dte/ Parcel Dte./PLI Dte/ CEPT
Director RAKNPA/ All PTCs
All GMs (Finance)/ DAPs
Subject: Instructions regarding posting of franked mail in view of disruption caused by second wave of Covid-19 across the country and the subsequent lockdowns imposed by various State Governments.
This is regarding disruption caused in the country due to sudden outbreak of second wave of Covid-19 and subsequent lockdowns/ Covid-Curfews imposed in various parts of the Country. Like various other services in the country, postal services have also been affected from it.
2. The lockdown/ Covid-Curfew has been imposed at different times in different parts of the country, and may be revoked similarly in a phased manner depending upon the gravity of spread of Covid-19 in various States/ Districts/ Local levels. In the wake of the lockdown and Covid-Curfews in the states, there was an assumption that the franking operations may get affected and the franked mail generated just before the lockdown might have been held up with the franking users and thereafter could not be posted as per the extant rulings described in the para 3 below. In order to tackle any such situation and provide appropriate disposal to the pending franked mail, it has been decided to give a one-time relaxation in respect of the provision mentioned in next point.
3 As per the SOP dated 11.08.2010 of RMFM, the mail which is franked on a particular day and could not be presented on the same day due to any reason, it may be accepted by the Designated office the very next day. In cases where •the next day is a weekend or there are successive holidays, the mail shall be accepted on the following working day. There is no procedure to post the franked .mail beyond this time frame. As such, there is a possibility that some number of articles might have been franked by the users/ mailers just before imposition of the lockdown or during lockdown (State/ District/ Local) in their particular area of franking/ posting but the same could not be posted and are lying pending with them.
4. Accordingly, it is instructed that such pending franked mail may be accepted by the designated post offices after revocation of the lockdown (State/ District/ Local). This will be a temporary arrangement and remain in force for the next 7 working days from the revocation of the lockdown (State/ District/ Local). As lockdown/ Covid-Curfew has been 1rnposed at different times in different parts of the country, and may be revoked similarly .in a phased manner.
5. The relaxation period of 07 working days may vary from place to place i.e. State/ District/ Local levels as per the date of revocation of the lockdown, and may be applicable for the articles franked during a particular period as per the period of the lockdown (State/ District/Local). The respective CPMsG may modify the dates of accepting pending franked mail accordingly, in respect of the state or any part/ district of these state, provided that the total period of such relaxation will be 7 working days only. This Directorate may be informed about such modifications, if any.
6. The procedure for accepting mail at the post offices and the instructions to the officials/officers for checking of the pending franked mail will be same as issued vide letter no. 27-20/2018 dated 01.05.2020 should be followed.
7. If any clarification related to the posting of old franked mail is required or if other unforeseen situations arise, the same may be brought to the notice of this Office for remedial action.
8 These instructions should be brought to the notice of all Mailers/Users of Remotely Managed Franking Machines (RMFMs) as well as all the officers/officials involved in the booking, transmission and delivery of mail throughout the country immediately.
9 This issues with the approval of the competent authority.
Assistant Director General (PO)
Phone: 011 23096005
e-Mail: [email protected]
- Sr. PPS to Secretary (Posts)/ DG Postal Services
- All Members (PSS)/ AS&FA/ Addi. DG (APS)
- DOG (Mail Operations)
- All OEMs of RMFMs for information
- GM, CEPT, Mysore for uploading the same on India Post website.
Deptt. of Posts (Click here to view/download the PDF)