Stop becoming your PAN inoperative – See the consequences vide CBDT Circular No. 03 of 2023
Circular No. 03 of 2023
F. No. 370142/14/2022-TPL
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
Department of Revenue
Central Board of Direct Taxes
New Delhi, Dated the 28th March, 2023
Sub.: Consequences of PAN becoming inoperative as per the newly substituted rule 114AAA— reg.
Consequent to the notification substituting rule 114AAA of the Income-tax Rules, 1962 (the Rules) vide notification no. 15 of 2023 dated 28th March, 2023, it is hereby clarified that a person who has failed to intimate the Aadhaar number in accordance with section 139AA of the Income-tax Act, 1961 (the Act) read with rule 114AAA shall face the following consequences as a result of his PAN becoming inoperative:
(i) refund of any amount of tax or part thereof, due under the provisions of the Act shall not be made to him;
(ii) interest shall not be payable to him on such refund for the period, beginning with the date specified under sub-rule (4) of rule 114AAA and ending with the date on which it becomes operative;
(iii) where tax is deductible under Chapter X VII-B in case of such person, such tax shall be deducted at higher rate, in accordance with the provisions of section 206AA;
(iv) where tax is collectible at source under Chapter XVII-BB in case of such person, such tax shall be collected at higher rate, in accordance with the provisions of section 206CC.
2. These consequences shall take effect from 1st July, 2023 and continue till the PAN becomes operative. A fee of one thousand rupees will continue to apply to make the PAN operative by intimating the Aadhaar number.
3. The consequences of PAN becoming inoperative shall not be applicable to those persons who have been provided exemption from intimating Aadhaar number under the provisions of sub-section (3) of section 139AA of the Act. 4. This is in supersession of the Circular No. 07 of 2022 of CBDT dated 30th March, 2022.
5. Hindi version to follow.
P. Amrutha varshini
Under Secretary (TPL-IV), CBDT
- PS to FM/ OSD to FM/ PS to MoS(F)/ PS to MoS(F)
- OSD to Secretary (Revenue)
- Chairman, CBDT & All Members, CBDT
- All Pr. DGsIT/ Pr. CCsIT
- All Joint Secretaries/ CsIT/ Directors/ Deputy Secretaries/ Under Secretaries of CBDT
- The C&AG of India
- The JS & Legal Adviser, Ministry of Law & Justice, New Delhi
- PCIT (M&TP), Official Spokesperson of CBDT
- Web manager, ADG (S)-4, O/o Pr. DGIT (Systems) for uploading on official website.
- JCIT (Database Cell) for uploading on www. irsofficersonline.gov.in
Source : Click to view/download PDF