Mahila Samman Savings Certificate 2023 – Salient Features and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP): SB Order No. 05/2023
SB Order No. 05/2023
F. No. FS-13/1/2023-FS-DOP
Government of India
Ministry of Communications
Department of Posts
Dak Bhawan, New Delhi – 110001
All Head of Circles / Regions
Subject: Introduction of new scheme, “Mahila Samman Savings Certificate, 2023” circulation of Notification regarding.
The Ministry of Finance (DEA) has issued notification G.S.R. 237(E) dated 31.03.2023 in connection with introduction of new scheme ‘Mahila Samman Savings Certificate, 2023”. This scheme shall be governed by this notification. Copy of the notification is enclosed.
2. Mahila Samman Savings Certificates, 2023 (MSSC): – Salient Features
(a) Type of Account
(i) Account under this scheme can be opened for an individual girl or woman in whose name the account is held.
(ii) On an application to the post office in prescribed form, a Single Holder Type Account may be opened on or before 31.03.2025 by a woman for herself, or by the guardian on behalf of a minor girl.
(i) A minimum of one thousand rupees and any sum in multiples of one hundred rupees may be deposited in an account. Thereafter, no subsequent deposit shall be allowed in the account.
(ii) There shall be a maximum limit for deposit of Rs. Two lakh in an account or in all accounts under this scheme held by an account holder.
(iii) An individual may open any number of accounts in the scheme subject to the maximum limit for deposit Rs. 2 Lakh and a time gap of three months between the existing account and the opening of another account. For example, an account holder who opened an account on 05.04.2023 with an amount Rs. 50,000, can open another account on or after 05.07.2023 with balance amount Rs. 1.50 lakh or part thereof.
(i) The rate of interest applicable to the deposits under this scheme is 7.5 per cent per annum. The interest shall be compounded on quarterly basis and credited to the account.
(ii) Post Office Savings Account interest shall be payable on an account opened or maintained, in contravention of this scheme.
(d) Withdrawal from account
(i) The account holder shall be eligible to withdraw for maximum up to 40 per cent of the eligible balance once after the expiry of one year from the date of opening of the account but before the maturity of the account by making application in prescribed form.
(ii) In case an account opened on behalf of a minor girl, the guardian may apply for the withdrawal for the benefit of the minor girl by submitting the following certificate to the post office namely: – “Certified that the amount sought to be withdrawn is required for the use and welfare of Miss/Kumari …………………………………… who is a minor girl and is alive on this …………….. day ……………. of …………(month) …………. (year).
(e) Payment on Maturity
The account shall mature on completion of two years from the date of the account opening. Eligible Balance may be paid to the account holder on an application in Form-2 submitted to the post office concerned on maturity.
(f) Premature closure of account
(i) Account shall not be closed before maturity except in the following cases, namely:
(a) On the death of the account holder,
(b) Where the post office is satisfied, in cases of extreme compassionate grounds such as medical support in life-threatening diseases of the Account holder or death of the guardian, that the operation or continuation of the Account is causing undue hardship to the Account holder, it may, after complete documentation, by order and for reasons to be recorded in writing, allow premature closure of the Account.
Note: – In case of premature closure an application from the account holder/guardian shall be obtained alongwith certificate of treating doctor or death certificate of guardian shall be obtained.
(ii) Where an account is prematurely closed under conditions mentioned in para (f) (i) above., interest on principal amount at the rate applicable to the scheme for which the account has been held shall be payable.
(iii) Premature closure of an Account may be permitted, any time after the completion of six months from the date of opening of an account by submitting prescribed form, for any reason other than mentioned in para (f) (i) above, in such cases account shall be eligible only for the interest rate less by two per cent points than the rate specified for this scheme (viz. 5.5%).
3. The provisions of the Government Savings Promotion General Rules, 2018 shall, so far as may be, apply in relation to the matters for which no provision has been made in this Scheme.
4. For operation of this scheme in Finacle a “Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) has been prepared and enclosed as Annexure.
5. Various forms prescribed for the scheme in the notification should be used. However, till the receipt of Form-1 for opening of account, existing SB-AOF form for opening of account may be used and it shall be ensured that declaration prescribed in para 3(2) of SB_AOF in respect of details of existing Mahila Samman Savings Certificate, shall be obtained from the account holder. For withdrawal from the account form SB-7C, for premature closure of account form SB-7B and for maturity closure form SB-7A may be used.
6. This may be circulated to all the Offices for information and necessary actions. A wide publicity should be given to this scheme on various platforms/modes.
7. This is issued with the approval of competent authority.
Encl: As above.
Asst. Director (SB-II)
Standard Operating Procedure for operation of Mahila Samman Savings Certificates, 2023 in Finacle
(1) This scheme will be available in all post offices across the country i.e. HO/SO/BO.
Note: – Post offices may accept Bank Cheque along with Account Opening Form/KYC documents on 01.04.2023 and send the cheque for clearance through CTS. After receipt of clearance post offices will open account on or after 03.04.2023.
(2) However, the process for necessary modification in RICT CBS application for Branch Post Offices may take time.
(3) So, in order to facilitate rural customers to open account under the ‘Mahila Samman Savings Certificates, 2023’ at the GDS Branch Post Offices, Account can be opened in Branch Post offices through cheque or withdrawal form (SB-7) as per the procedure prescribed vide SB Order No. 22/2020 and SB Order No. 32/2020.
(4) For opening of account, Account Opening Form, KYC form (for new customer) and KYC documents as prescribed in rule 5 and 6 of Government Savings Promotion General Rules, 2018 should be obtained.
(5) Bank Cheque received for opening of the account under the scheme shall be lodged in SOL ID+0382 as prescribed in SB Order No. 24/2021.
(6) For opening of account in Finacle the following procedure shall be followed: –
- Invoke menu CMISAOP à GO
- Enter CIF ID à
- Product Group à MSSC
- Scheme Code à MSSC à Go (F4)
- Mode of Operation à select as applicable.
- Deposit Amount à Enter amount of account opening
- Nomination à Yes à Enter nominee details.
- Transaction (Click on check box)
- Select Cash or Transfer (In case of Transfer enter PO Savings Account No or SOL ID+0382.
- Click on Flow tab
(i) Note down the Account ID and Tran ID on Account Opening Form/SB-103.
(ii) Supervisor shall verify the account opening by using menu CMISAOPV.
(iii) After verification of account passbook should be printed in HPBP menu and handover to the account holder/guardian.
(iv) The details of transaction carried out for Mahila Samman Savings Certificate will be available in Long Book Detailed Report and Long Book Consolidation Report.
(v) For relevant voucher shall be transferred to SBCO branch alongwith other vouchers.
(7) For premature closure and maturity closure of Mahila Samman Savings Certificate in Finacle, procedure prescribed for MIS/TD closure shall be followed by using HCAACTD menu.
(8) Procedure for withdrawal from Mahila Samman Savings Certificate in Finacle will be issued shortly.