Recovery of excess pension made to pensioners – Withdrawal of circulars : RBI Notification dated 21.01.2021
भारतीय रिजर्व बैंक
RESERVE BANK OF INDIA
January 21, 2021
The Chairman / Chief Executive Officer
All Agency Banks
Withdrawal of circulars – on Recovery of excess pension made to pensioners
It has been brought to the notice of RBI that the recovery of excess /wrong pension payments from the pensioners are being made in a manner that is not in keeping with the extant guidelines / Court orders.
2. This issue has been examined by RBI and it has been decided that the following circulars issued by Department of Government and Bank Accounts, Reserve Bank of India related to recovery of excess pension paid by agency banks stands withdrawn with effect from the date of this circular –
- a) Circular no DGBA.GAD.No.2960/45.01.001/2015-16 dated March 17, 2016
- b) Circular no CO.DGBA (NBS) No.44/GA.64 (11-CVL) 90/91 dated April 18, 1991
- c) Circular no CO DGBA (NBS) No.50/GA.64 (11-CVL) 90/91 dated May 6, 1991.
3. It may please be noted that though the above-mentioned circulars issued under the signature of RBI stand withdrawn, agency banks are requested to seek guidance from respective Pension Sanctioning Authorities regarding the process to be followed for recovery of excess pension paid to the pensioners, if any.
4. As regards the issue of refund to be made to the government of excess/wrong pension payments, banks may be guided by the guidelines laid down in our Circulars Nos.DGBA.GAD.H10450/45.03.001/2008-09 dated June 1, 2009 and DGBA.GAD.H.4054/ 45.03.001/2014-15 dated March 13, 2015. Agency banks are again advised that, where excess pension payment has arisen on account of mistakes committed by the bank, the amount paid in excess should be refunded to the Government in lumpsum immediately after detection of the same and without waiting for recovery of any amount from the pensioners.
(Charulatha S Kar)
Chief General Manager