Engagement of retired State Government officials in exigencies of services in projects where land acquisition is involved: RBE No. 12/2024
RBE No. 12/2024
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF RAILWAYS
No. E(NG)II/2020/RC-4/2 (Pt.2)
New Delhi, dated: 08.02.2024
The General Manager (P),
All Zonal Railways/PUs,
(As per standard mailing list).
Sub: Engagement of retired State Government officials in exigencies of services in projects where land acquisition is involved.
Ref: Board’s letter No. E(NG)II/2020/RC-4/2(Pt.2) dated 03.03.2023 (RBE No.39/2023).
In continuation of this office letter of even number dated 03.03.2023 cited under reference on the above subject, it has been decided to permit Railways to engage retired State Government officials from forest/revenue departments on contract basis for work related to Survey, updation of land records, coordination with State Government agencies for forest/ wild life clearances in projects where land acquisition is involved.
2. The total number of such engagements may be restricted to 10 in each Zonal Railway. The above permission is extended for a period of two years beyond 21.02.2024 i.e. upto 21.02.2026. Powers for such engagement shall be exercised only by the General Managers and with Finance concurrence.
3. As regards remuneration, allowances and leave, these will be as per OM No. F.No. 3- 25/2020-E.IIIA dated 09.12.2020 of Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance, Government of India which are as under —
(i) A fixed monthly amount shall be admissible as remuneration during the contract period, arrived at by deducting the basic pension from the pay drawn at the time of retirement. The amount of remuneration so fixed shall remain unchanged for the term of the contract.
(ii) No increment, Dearness Allowance and HRA shall be allowed during the term of the contract.
(iii) An appropriate and fixed amount as Transport Allowance for the purpose of commuting between the residence and the place of work shall be allowed not exceeding the rate applicable to the appointee at the time of retirement. The amount so fixed shall remain unchanged during the term of appointment. However, they may be allowed TA/DA on official tour, if any, as per their entitlement at the time of retirement.
(iv) Paid leave of absence may be allowed at the rate of 1.5 days for each completed month of service.
4. The re-engaged retired employees shall sign an agreement of confidentiality with the Railway containing a clause on Ethics and Integrity.
5. The following conditions stated in Board’s letter No. E(NG)II/2007/RC-4/CORE/1 dated 28.11.2019 shall also be observed while re-engaging these retired employees. Railway should give adequate publicity to such re-engagement, including by putting it on Railway websites.
- While re-engaging such staff, medical fitness of the appropriate category should be obtained from the designated authorities as per existing practices.
- Suitability/competency of the staff should be adjudged before such re-engagement.
- Maximum age limit for which re-engagement shall continue will be 65 years.
- The integrity aspect should also be checked while permitting such re-engagement.
6. Care may be taken to ensure that the contract nature of the work is clearly established and that there will be no claim to employment privileges or facilities as applicable to railway employees. The designation and nature of work shall be clearly distinct from the regular employees.
7. Clear fund availability should also be ensured for re-engaging these retired employees and the expenditure towards this arrangement may be charged to the same head against which the expenditure was charged in the past when such arrangements were in force prior to issuance of Board’s letter dated 22.12.2020.
(U. K. Tiwari)