Acceptance of awards from Government Bodies / Private Organizations by members of All India Services – Guidelines by DoP&T vide OM dated 22.06.2023
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
North Block, New Delhi
Dated the 22nd June, 2023
Subject: Guidelines on acceptance of awards from Government Bodies / Private Organizations by members of All India Services.
Instructions have been issued by this Department from time to time regarding acceptance of awards by members of the All India Services (AIS) from Government and Private Bodies/Institutions/Organizations, in accordance with Rule 12(1) of AII India Services (Conduct) Rules, 1968.
2. It was stipulated vide DoPT Letter No. 11017/48/93-AIS(III) dated 20th October,1993, that awards sought to be given by private bodies and institutes to members of the AIS do not need to be encouraged, Inter alia, because of the fact that there are various methods open to Government themselves to recognize the merits and service of a member of the AIS, and it would not be appropriate to accept an award from a private body. In exceptional circumstances like rewarding the merit of an officer for work done outside the purview of his functions in Government or where Government otherwise thinks that an individual officer deserves a particular award, it was left to the discretion of the Competent Authority to decide in a reasonable and judicious manner, based on the main criterion that such an award should not have a monetary component.
3. It was further clarified vide DoPT letter No. 11017/71-93-AIS(III) dated 9th August, 1994 that it is not appropriate for members of the AIS to accept awards from Private Bodies.
4. It has, however, been observed that members of the AIS are accepting awards/recognition accorded by Private Bodies / Institutions / Organizations, and the aforementioned instructions are not being followed in their true spirit.
5. Accordingly, it is clarified that:
(i) Awards given by Private Bodies / Institutions / Organizations may be accepted only with prior approval of Competent Authority.
(ii) In case of officers serving in the State, the Competent Authority would be the State Government.
(iii) In case of officers serving in the Centre, the Competent Authority would be the Secretary of the Ministry / Department concerned. In case of Secretaries to Government of India, the Competent Authority would be the Cabinet Secretary.
(iv) The Competent Authority may grant approval, only in exceptional circumstances, as elucidated in para 2 above, subject to the following conditions:
(a) The award should not have any monetary component in the form of cash and/or facilities.
(b) Credentials of the Private Bodies / Institutions / Organizations should be unimpeachable.
6. All Ministries / Departments of Government of India and State / UT Governments are requested to ensure strict adherence to these guidelines.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
Tel. No. 011-23093479
- All Secretaries to Government of India
- All Chief Secretaries
- MHA, as the Cadre Controlling Authority of Indian Police Service
- MoEF&CC, as the Cadre Controlling Authority of Indian Forest Service.