CCS (LTC) Rules 1988 – Clarifications/ Modifications in the LTC Instructions issued by DoPT vide O.M dated 10.08.2023
Government of India
Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions
Department of Personnel & Training
Pers. Policy (A-IV)
North Block, New Delhi.
Dated: 10th August, 2023
Subject: Central Civil Services (Leave Travel Concession) Rules, 1988 — clarifications/ modifications in the LTC instructions regarding.
The undersigned is directed to refer to DoPT’s OM No. 31011/11/2015-Estt.A-IV dated 12.05.2016 on admissibility of catering charges in respect of rail journey performed on LTC and OM No. 31011/12/2022-Estt.A-IV dated 29.08.2022 regarding booking of Air Tickets on Government Account in respect of LTC.
2. Keeping in view the several references, grievances, etc. in respect of different issues flagged in these OMs, the matter has been considered in consultation with the Department of Expenditure and decided as below:
(i) Reimbursement of Catering charges in case of LTC – Keeping in view the fact that Indian Railways is now providing options to the traveller to avail catering facility or not, it has been decided that wherever employees opt for catering services while booking the tickets for the eligible trains for the purpose of LTC, the reimbursement of catering charges shall be allowed.
(ii) Reimbursement of Cancellation charges levied by the airlines/travel agents – It has been decided that both types of the cancellation charges, viz. (i) cancellation charges levied by the airlines & (ii) cancellation charges levied by the three authorized travel agents for utilization of their portals/platforms, if any, shall be reimbursed on the ground of official exigencies only.
(iii) Booking of Air tickets through three Authorized Travel Agents viz. IRCTC, BLCL & ATT even in case of the employees not entitled for air travel under LTC – It has been decided that the Government employees not entitled for air travel but wish to travel by air, are no longer required to mandatorily book their air tickets through these three travel agencies viz. M/s Balmer Lawrie & Company Limited (BLCL), M/s Ashok Travels & Tours (ATT), Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Ltd. (IRCTC) only as the reimbursement is restricted to the actual air fare or the entitled train/bus fare for the shortest route, whichever is less. In case of cancellation of tickets, cancellation charges shall be borne by the Government employees concerned. However, in case of Special Dispensation Scheme, the Government employees not entitled for air travel under LTC, but wish to travel by air to the intended place of visit in NE region, UTs of J&K, Ladakh, A & N, are required to book their air ticket through three ATAs only.
3. The claim of reimbursement in respect of LTC journey is to be settled as per the above instructions, however the cases which have already been settled, need not be reopened.
4. In so far as the persons serving in the Indian Audit and Accounts Department are concerned, these instructions are issued in consultation with the Comptroller and Auditor Genera] of India, as mandated under Article 148(5) of the Constitution of India.
5. Hindi version will follow.
Under Secretary to the Government of India
Tel: 2304 0341
All Secretaries of Ministries/ Departments of the Government of India
(As per the standard list)
- Comptroller & Auditor General of India, New Delhi.
- Union Public Service Commission, New Delhi.
- Central Vigilance Commission, New Delhi.
- Central Bureau of Investigation, New Delhi.
- Parliament Library, New Delhi.
- All Union Territory Administrations.
- Lok Sabha/ Rajya Sabha Secretariat.
- All Attached and Subordinate Offices of Ministry of Personnel, P.G. &
- Hindi Section for Hindi version.